Tuesday 14 August 2007

I got a job!

In Malaysia, that is. I knew Graduan Careers Fair was on last weekend, but i was too tired to actually attend the event on Saturday. Luckily, MoMU who has all the connections sent out another email detailing that they were still gonna be holding walk in interviews yesterday and today. So i simply rocked up after class today, totally unprepared and under-dressed (other ppl were wearing suits), and submitted my resume to a few companies.

Was interviewed first by Public Bank, and after some 15 minutes of conversation, the lady who was interviewing me said that she's prepared to give me a conditional job offer. Not too bad an outcome, considering i had no preconceptions of what to expect (i had hardly any knowledge about the banking industry), i wasn't exactly prepared for an interview, and i had 3+ hours sleep the night before (as i was working on my final year project presentation this morning). Anyway, the letter starts off:
Dear Mr. Chew,

CONFIRMATION OF OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT
Further to the interview you attended, we are pleased to confirm our offer of employment for the position of Trainee Credit Analyst to be based in the Klang Valley region. We will advise you of your branch in due course.

You shall receive an initial basic salary of RM2,200-00 per months. Your employment with the Bank will however be subject to the following:
etc
etc...

Haha, a credit analyst - after studying 4 years of engineering. Well, at least I get to approve your loans. haha. And RM2200? Not that fantastic, but i guess that's standard fare; and she did mention that since it's a graduate program, there will be an increase of between RM100-400 in renumeration every 6 months, for the duration of the 18 month program.

Next, went for an interview with OCBC Bank, and the guy was very straigforward, saying that "we are definitely interested in taking you, but considering that you already are a PR, I have doubts about whether you really are interested in working for us." Valid point i guess, but I'm just exploring my options, and anyways, they'll be giving me a 2nd interview.

Last interview was with Perodua. 5 mins in, and i already losing interest and felt like leaving. 3 Malay dudes (no offence for racial stereotyping), trying to interview me, not really sure of what to ask, asking each other if they had any questions for me. And there was this one guy who asked me about 5 times to go and play the piano nearby just coz he saw that i had Grade 7 certification. And he was excited about me joining their Perodua band, more than anything else. Quite a joke. Typical Malaysian company, flying 3 ppl all the way to Melbourne just to play around.

It was an interesting process, sitting for my first interview. But that's what i like about Malaysian interviews. The interviews are very conversational and easy going, as opposed to Australian interviews where they bombard you non-stop with difficult questions. Anyway, now's the time for me to start looking for jobs in Australia - someone keep reminding me to do so. I'm too slack! =P

7 comments:

Daniel said...

Rm2200? boo

KPMG Malaysia is paying Rm2350!

an extra AUD50 a month! awesome indeed! (considering that that's about 2-3 hours part time work here)

Cleverkiwibird said...

lol so bad lar daniel...its ppl's first offer ok !? hehhe

Damien Wong said...

hahaha...isaac...plz stick to ur profesion so that u give ppl like me a chance...hehehe

michelletlh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
isaac said...

Yeah dan, and once u factor in your tax deductions, maybe car / mortgages and living expenses, we'll prob be left with nothing much. =( though if its any consolation, RM1 roti canai's in Malaysia might make living costs a bit more bearable. hehe.

And kee win, i also approached standard chartered, they said they'll get back to me. hehe. went for an interview this morning with Daikin, a large heating and cooling company which i hadnt heard about before. Offices in Malaysia and Aust, but not too interested in that area.

Damien, what has me applying for an unrelated job got to do with you?? You'll be like working in a LAB! in a white lab coat 8 hours a day for the rest of your life.. heheh.. okays.. just kidding, i know u hate science as it is already.. =P

Anonymous said...

nice nice :)

isaac said...

Michelle Tan Lay Hwa. What's this nonsense about browsing through my diary?? It's an invasion of privacy! It contains all my deepest darkest secrets. Hmph, must be a ploy of yours to offer to so kindly "keep" my diary for me. Little did i realise the cunning plans that you had =P hahaha.

And I bet you wrote down your birthday or sth.. =)