Wednesday 17 October 2007

In should be more careful...

Yesterday, i sliced my hand on a can lid. The result was a gaping wound exposing the flesh. [Warning: Some gruesome photos follows.. So if you hate gore, morbid sights or if blood scares you, don't scroll down]





























The cut... which dripped blood all over the place.. in my kitchen, in the lift, in the waiting room..


Anyway, went to a 24 hour clinic on Sydney road to get it checked and the receptionist bluntly said "I'm sorry, we don't do stitches here." I mean, which doctor doesn't know how to perform such a simple procedure?? I'm guessing it probably had more to do with her getting up and getting ready to go home a few minutes later.. =(

So i went to RMH, which i must say is beset by inefficiencies and poor management. I thought only such travesties occured in Malaysia, little did i know Australia faces the same problem. The triage nurse took almost 30 mins just to process me, and i had to wait another 5 hours before i could even see a doctor. Ended up leaving the hospital at 4am!! Though probably much better off than other countries, Australia's public healthcare system seriously still needs a revamp. I would imagine something as simple as eliminating or reducing understaffing would greatly reduce waiting times and the millions of dollars lost annually due to lost productivity caused by waiting in lines. Not to mention reducing the pain, anger, stress and anxiety of everyone waiting.

Had a tetanus jab, and the doctor first poured lots of alcohol and rubbed vigorously, until the wound which had already started to clot started bleeding heavily again. He then has prod and poke the raw wound with his forceps. The doctor tried to use a Steristrip, some super adhesive tape to pull the skin together to close the wound, but he tried twice to no avail. So had to resort to stitches. And to prepare for the stitching he has to inject and administer the local anaesthetic right into the open wound. Not once of twice, but FIVE times from all angles. Cringe. I'm not particularly fond of needles, and i kept pulling my hand away when the needle came near. But after the first one went in, i realised it wasn't too bad. Anyway, ended up with 3 stitches. Though i think the 3rd one on the right was unecessary, only because he didn't do a good job with the middle stitch.

Okay, i know these pictures are a bit gross and gory, but it isn't too bad a cut. And i've had many friends thinking i lost my hand or my finger, or chopped off a huge chunk of flesh. Fortunately, it's nothing that close to being that dramatic. Just a superficial cut that needed stitches to pull it close. It hurts a little, but i can still hold a pen and write. Though i think i'll improve my left-sided dexterity in the meantime by having to use my left hand to brush my teeth, etc.

Btw, a big thank you to Mel and Cliff who brought me there and waited the entire time. And Phaik Yee, Hung, and Kai Yau, who came along later, even if there was the side hidden agenda of having a multiplayer Nintendo DS gaming session in the waiting room. Having a couple of NDS there to play Worms or Mario Kart really helped while the time away (though i'm not sure the other ppl in the waiting room who had to endure our shrieks and laughter necessarily agreed). Haha. Thanx guys, really appreciate it. And the few who called or msged your concern too.

7 comments:

Fozzle said...

That's disgusting! Ughghghgh. - and the right hand too - you going to be okay for the exams? :(

Purring Tiger said...

yerr so disgusting >.<

*peeks again* ahh!!!

omg i cannot handle these pictures.. T_T why'd you show them to me?

hehe :p take care.. ask your bro to cook for you now ;p

isaac said...

haha. Don't worry. My hand's fine. I even managed to play the Wii just now. And you guys definitely can't be doctors.. hahaa

Damien Wong said...

ouch..my whole bloody right hand is feeling it now!!! OUCH!!! i know you warned us already but us being humans...we just have to be curious about everything...ouch damn it...my hand hurts!!!

Anonymous said...

kw : dang, i was expecting a big hole..and some stories of a bit of flesh on the apartment floor...

so disappointed bleh....

:P

anyway glad to see ur hand is alright, this means u get to graduate after all............ though what they will do with a one handed engineer i really have NO idea....... :P

Dr Raymond, previously Kon-sama and pre-previously Rurouni) said...

heh, reminds me of my 1st year, took them 4 hours for them to treat me

so yea RMH sux big time...also with ur level of injury, it's probably a level 5, which is the lowest on the priority list...so ye too bad they made u wait cos they know u probably won't die from that small bleed

isaac said...

haha yeah.. Being subject to the triage process sucks. Coz i'm the least of their worries, and anyone who came in slightly more in need of medical aid then me got to cut my line. Good thing both contesting parties this election have pledge to invest a few billion into healthcare.