Wednesday 7 November 2007

My Marketing Plan Assignment

Went to uni with Mel just now to collect my Strategic Marketing assignment. Well besides the added incentive of picking up a free Slurpee on Happy 7-11 Day. =) Anyway, remember the 12,000 word 70 pages assignment that i was complaining and whinging about how difficult, and totally illogical it was for them to expect such a comprehensive and detailed marketing plan from undergraduate students? Yes, THAT assignment. Picked the assignment up from Alan Gilbert.

And we both stood there not wanting to check our marks. "You go first," I said. "No, you go first," she replied. Impasse. "How about i check your marks and you check mine?" suggested Mel. Which was even scarier to than checking it myself.

So, with great trepiadation, i turned over to the last page to check my mark. Guess what i got?? [Highlight the blank space..]
28/30

I was quite shocked. I mean, not that i didn't invest hours and hours of effort into the assignment, but I am not a marketing student. I had no prior knowledge of Porter's 5 forces, the GE/BCG/McKinsey model, the meaning of critical success factors, how to propose a budget, and other marketing lingo. And due to lack of time, I thought that leaving out certain parts and writing half a page for each section towards the end would have an adverse effect on my mark. Not to mention having a referencing system that merely consisted of copying and pasting URLs into footnotes and leaving it at that.

Oh well, i guess the many sleepless nights paid off. And due to students' complains the weightage of the assignment has been increased to 60% of the overall mark. =) To cap it off the tutor's feedback reads:
  • An excellent strategic plan for IKEA. A very comprehensive, well researched + considered analysis.
  • Very good supporting recommendations for your marketing mix, budget, implementation + evaluation + control.
  • Overall, you have presented a very intensive + intelligent plan.
  • Astonishingly high level of course understanding.
I'm not even convinced myself about the validity of those comments, but i'm not complaining.. And not as upset with my decision to take this elective. =)

4 comments:

michelletlh said...

wheeeeee!!
congrats isaac
that's terrific!

isaac said...

I bet the "wheeee" is Phaik Yee's influence.. hahaa

Thanx.. =)

miszmilk said...

woo hoo! grats!

I picked up my assignment 1 for Marketing about a week ago (it was ready to be collect since September :P) and I didn't do as well. :( Only 10% though.

Grats again :D

Mel said...

Haha I only highlighted half of your marks, so only the 30 came out...i was like WTF? Since when did Isaac get full marks! Then I realized there was more to highlight...LOL!